Tuesday, August 05, 2014

HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY by Douglas Adams

Science Fiction; Humor; Satire

"One Thursday lunchtime, the Earth is unexpectedly demolished to make way for a new hyperspace bypass. For Arthur Dent, who has only just had his house demolished that morning, this seems already to be more than he can cope with. Sadly, however, the weekend has only just begun, and the galaxy is a very strange and startling place."

ALA Notable Books 1995; multiple starred reviews; a classic - Yes!

How could I have waited so long to read this book? My kids, my husband, and other family members loved it and quoted it for years. This goes down as a favorite. I listened to part of it and read the rest. The audio version is fantastic and brings out the Monty Python-isc humor slant; the text version is as good. I am hooked on Douglas Adams and will recommend this book with great enthusiasm to both middle and high school readers.

Douglas Adams Quotes
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be."

"To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity."

For more information on Douglas Adams and his books, go to http://www.douglasadams.com/creations/hhgg.html

No comments: