Wednesday, March 22, 2006

THE BOOK WITHOUT WORDS by Avi

Fantasy, Evil, Magic
book cover
Book Description
The Book Without Words: A Tale of Medieval Magic (2005) "Thorston, an alchemist who has spent his life trying to decipher the secret to immortality contained in the Book Without Words, is on the brink of realizing his dream when he drops dead, leaving Odo, a talking raven, and Sybil, a servant who was about to be sacrificed to Thorston's plan, to reap the rewards of his work."  (Follett)

My Comments
Avi is a safe bet as recommended reading for most people and I am personally addicted to him. I always make sure to offer one of his books to browsing students. This is not one of my favorites, as I don't feel drawn into the plot or very interested in the characters, except perhaps the talking bird, Odo and the servant girl. Are the characters too simple in this story of greed? That said, I'm still looking forward to reading it later tonight. There you go; Avi should be a staple for all reading diets!

No comments: