Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A DOOR NEAR HERE by Heather Quarles

"Four siblings struggle to maintain a seminormal home life when their single mother's alcoholism becomes debilitating."
  • Follett Library Resources


  • Publishers Weekly (January 24, 2000)

    PW's starred review said, "A candid narrative voice joins with skillful pacing" for this story of 15-year-old Katherine, who tries to conceal her alcoholic mother's incapacity from authorities to prevent the family from being split up. Ages 12-up. (Jan.)

    Copyright 2000 Cahners Business Information.

    My Young Critic, Molly recommended this book to me. I stayed up too late last night finishing it. I kept hoping the children could pull off their secret, which indicates how convincing their perspective is conveyed. As a reader, however, I saw the inevitable disaster unfolding yet hidden from others. Very powerful. Thank you, Molly, for telling me about this compelling novel.

    1 comment:

    Anonymous said...

    You're welcome!!

    ~Molly~