Saturday, July 30, 2022

WHEN WINTER ROBESON CAME by Brenda Woods


 When Winter Robeson Came by Brenda Woods

Historical Fiction, African Americans, Race Relations, Watts Riots 1965 Los Angeles, Novels in Verse

160 pages

Description

In August 1965, twelve-year-old Eden's older cousin from Mississippi comes to visit her in Los Angeles, and while the Watts Riots erupt around them, they continue their investigation of the disappearance of Winter's father ten years ago.

My Comments

Engaging, educational. I wish that Eden's character was older and that the cover didn't look so young because this book would be good for grades 7 and 8. Also, the cover is very young looking. Otherwise, this would be a great book for 8th grade since her older cousin is 14 and the time period fits into their curriculum.

Book Quotes

"I want to write music. I pause. I think.

You written any yet?

Some. They're not very good.

Why you gonna talk yourself down? There'll be plenty of folks to do that for you.

You haveta believe in yourself, cousin. That's my rule number one.

I ask, What's your rule number two?

Believe in yourself some more.

-page 85 (When Winter Robeson Came)

No comments: