Sunday, November 30, 2008

FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

"Seventeen-year-old Richie Perry, just out of his Harlem high school, enlists in the Army in the summer of 1967 and spends a devastating year on active duty in Vietnam."

This is so good, astounding actually, a modern day All Quiet on the Western Front. Myers is a master of dialogue and plot. The characters are real and complex. The action is breathtaking. The questions of morality are not presented in black and white, except for the atrocities of war and the value of friendship. Often I have students who ask for war books. This should be top on the list.Walter Dean Myers

1 comment:

cstillwagoner said...

I am a middle school reading teacher. I found your blog while searching for ideas for my own classroom blog! I'm always looking for some great read alouds, and I really appreciate your reviews! My reading list always seems to be way too long....